Position Description: Manager
Permanent full time: 38 hours per week, $30.56/hour,
$60,387 per annum + Super +25% discount
Reporting to: Directly: MC Chair & Treasurer; Indirect: MC
Location: Newtown, Sydney
Overview: Alfalfa House Community Food Co-op is a vibrant not for profit organisation at the heart of the Inner West community. It provides members and the wider community with excellent quality, ethically sourced fresh produce and groceries that are chemical free, with minimal packaging. Staffed by a paid team and volunteers, Alfalfa House is supported by a Members Council (MC) and has a vision to sustain & thrive.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a motivated Manager with a desire to drive results through a collaborative approach with a team of skilled and passionate staff.
The successful applicant must have:
- 3 years’ commercial and retail management experience, ideally in the organic produce & groceries sector
- A strong understanding of ethical, environmental & social procurement concepts
- Strong financial competence in retail sales, margins, profitability and reporting. Plus, social media & marketing skills
- Proven ability to lead, motivate, support and develop a passionate team, with understanding and integrity
- The ability to prioritise and have a hands on approach; a lateral thinker, capable of working with minimal supervision
- Excellent oral, written and communication skills
- A collaborative nature and ability to engage with all stakeholders, including staff, management committee, volunteers, suppliers, customers and community. A key driver of community events & activities
- Understanding of the customer experience and a drive to improve it
- Exceptional time management skills and attention to detail, ability to prioritise and jump in when required
- Requisite program skills in Word & Excel, Xero, MYOB or similar, and experience in Point of Sale (POS) programs such as POSWise
- Confidence and skills in using social media.
Role responsibilities include:
- Overseeing and delivering the retail and financial aspects of Alfalfa House’s strategic plan, working within budget to ensure continued profitability
- Achieving sales budgets and KPI’s set out in the annual plan through effective promotion, merchandising and staff training & development
- Contributing to the overall running and success of the business through strategic and operational planning, review and monthly reporting cycles
- Leading, developing and engaging the retail team, co-ordinators and volunteers to ensure we deliver an exceptional customer experience
- Being the first point of contact and support for all store staff
- Responsible for setting up and maintaining regular communication channels that encourage the flow of information, ideas and improvements
- Carefully planning rosters
- Overseeing and approving category reviews, including the development of new lines, offers and packaging
- Developing and implementing trade marketing plans, social media and web updates, in line with the marketing working group to improve customer reach and increase membership
- Representing the co-op at industry level by taking part in interviews, events and meetings
- Adhering to and development of policies, procedures and guidelines, including HR and WH&S.
Alfalfa House Community Food Co-operative
- to provide a retail source of wholefoods so that members may have some control over the sources of their food supply;
- to provide information on and promote the use of
- low-cost, ethically-produced and packaged wholefoods,
- cruelty-free foods,
- vegetarian foods,
- vegan foods,
- organic foods and
- genetically-modified-free foods;
- to run an ethical, not-for-profit business;
- to minimise resource wastage and, hence, encourage reuse and recycling;
- to support other cooperatives whose objects are similar or related to the objects of the cooperative; and
- to stimulate community development, foster community spirit and promote sustainable living
If you’re results driven, energetic and have at least 3 years’ retail management experience, then we’d love to hear from you. Please send a covering letter addressing the above criteria and your CV to: Kelly Dent, Chair at [email protected] by COB Friday 15 February, 2019. For queries please contact 0410 442 844. Commencement date: late February 2019. Interviews from 18 February.
Check out our volunteering page for other ways in which you can help support Alfalfa House while building valuable skills.