Winter Warmer – Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats Porridge
When it’s cold and rainy (as it is right now), make this wholesome nourishing porridge using steel cut oats, fresh apples and warming cinnamon. Add in a dash of homemade oat mylk (or your milk of choice) for added creaminess. This apple cinnamon steel cut oats porridge is refined sugar-free, dairy-free and good for your gut.
In this recipe, the steel cut oats are soaked overnight in plain water. Soaking grains, nuts and seeds is a good practice that aids in digestion as soaking breaks down the phytic acid in the grains. It also reduces the overall porridge cooking time the next morning.
Steel Cut vs Rolled Oats
If you are wondering the difference between steel cut oats and rolled oats, steel cut oats are made from the whole oat grain. The outer husk is removed, before the oat grain is cut into smaller pieces using a steel blade. Hence the name steel cut oats. Steel cut oats do have higher fiber content and are more nutritionally dense. They are a form of complex carbs that do keep you feeling fuller for longer.
Rolled Oats on the other hand are the oat grains steamed and then rolled in a press. They take less time to cook as compared to steel cut oats.
All Porridge Ingredients Available at Alfalfa House
We are stocking all these wholesome porridge ingredients including fresh apples and Oat Mylk at Alfalfa House. So load up on all these items in your next visit to the shop or you can utilise our personal shopper service if you are unable to come into the shop for a specific reason. (The personal shopper service is especially designed for people at risk of severe illness from COVID-19, people who are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, and people who are sick and staying isolated.)
If you do make this porridge, please share your photos and tag us on Alfalfa House Instagram. We would love to see your creations 🙂
Steel Cut Oats Porridge with Cinnamon and Apples
- Sauce pan
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium apple grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy mylk of choice e.g. Almond, Oat
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds of choice Sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice optional
- 1 tsp Nut butter of choice optional
The Night Before
- Soak the steel cut oats in water for app. 8 hours
The Next Morning
- Rinse the soaked steel cut oats under running water
- In a deep sauce pan, combine the soaked steel cut oats, water, cinnamon powder and grated apple. Cook on a medium flame for 20 min and keep stirring occasionally.
- Keep adding additional water in the sauce pan and keep stirring to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and is thoroughly cooked. The steel cut oats should be chewy and soft once cooked.
- Once cooked, add chia seeds and oat milk or almond milk (as per choice) in te sauce pan. Wait for a few minutes until the chia seeds start to soak up the additional liquid. Give it a good stir.
- Once the chia seeds have soaked in the extra liquid, put toppings of choice i.e. mixed seeds, nut butter, slices of fresh apple and serve
Recipe Contributor : Adity Kaushal, (Volunteer and Member at Alfalfa House Co-op , Newtown)
She writes all about vegetarian, healthy plant-based recipes over at the urbanfoodlover website
Or follow along her Foodie journey for more recipes and Inspo over on Instagram @urbanfoodlover
[…] Apple Cinnamon Steel cut Oats Porridge recipe […]
Leave a Comment