Buckwheat pancakes with pineapple, banana and toasted coconut flakes
Quick and easy breakfast pancakes recipe made using wholegrain buckwheat and spelt flour. Shop for all these ingredients at your Newtown Food Co-op Alfalfa House
2 mixing bowls
non-stick fry pan
- 3 medium Free range eggs separated
- 65 g Ground buckwheat groats
- 60 g Plain organic soft flour
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140 ml milk
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 medium pineapple peeled, core removed and finely sliced
- 1 medium banana
- 50 g coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp natural yogurt optional
For Dry Ingredients
Make buckwheat flour by placing groats in a coffee grinder and grind until fine
Measure flour then add to plain flour. Sieve into a bowl.
Add baking powder and salt to the flours
Toast coconut flakes (dry) in the oven on a baking tray for around 10 minutes until golden
For Wet Ingredients
Separate eggs, place yolks in a bowl and beat lightly with a whisk or fork then add milk
Make a well in the centre of the DRY ingredients and slowly add WET ingredients. Also add in the honey at this stage.
Whisk egg whites until they form firm peaks, ( will hold firm on the whisk) then gently fold through batter
Heat a non-stick frypan to medium heat, spoon in batter leaving space around each. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. Keep warm on a plate in the oven while making next batch.
Serve with sliced pineapple, sliced banana, toasted coconut flakes and a drizzle of maple syrup and maybe a spoon of homemade natural yoghurt.
- For coeliacs and gluten free diets simply use 125g buckwheat flour and no plain four.
- Other topping ideas: Blueberry, banana and agave syrup. Caramelised apple or pear and chopped roasted hazelnuts