Consensus Decision Making
Alfalfa House makes decisions using consensus decision-making. Members are encouraged to have direct input into co-op policy such as what products are stocked and what services are offered. One way is through the Members’ Council (MC), the board of directors, which is elected at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) each spring. However, members can be nominated at other times if there are fewer than seven directors.
The AGM and any Special General Meeting — held at the request of members proposing changes to the co-op that require wide membership approval — is open to any member to attend and vote.
The MC, which comprises between four and seven members, oversees the co-op’s financial management and general policy-making.
All members are welcome to attend the monthly meetings, which are held at 7pm, venue details below.
2018 meeting dates:
- February 22 – Strategic Planning Event 6pm – The Commons, 31a Mallett Street Camperdown
- February 28 – MC Meeting 7pm – The Settlement 17 Edward Street, Darlington
- March 28
- April – TBC
- May 23
- June 27
- July 25
- August 29
- September 26
- October 24
- November 28
A typical MC meeting agenda would include:
- Attendance, apologies
- Approval of agenda
- Consent agenda
- Adoption of previous minutes
- New members and cancellations
- Out-of-session decisions/proposals
- Reports from working groups
- Manager’s report
- Staffing (appointments, resignations)
- Deferred matters / business arising
- Food grants
- Workplace health and safety
- Proposals for consideration
- Other business
Meeting minutes and agendas
As we are owned and run by members, we are always in need of volunteers and have a variety of different jobs available. Find out how you can volunteer at Alfalfa House Food Co-op.
Aside from volunteering in the shop, volunteers make up the people-power behind these working groups:
- Community outreach
- Shop development
- Staff Liaison
- Volunteer Engagement